Of party planning and family gatherings....
Been a rather hectic but uneventful day thus far. We had planned to be up and out fairly early this morning to head into my mom's neighborhood to check out the restaurant(s) we were considering for her birthday luncheon. Nobody was willing or able to get our lazy butts out of bed with any speediness...so best laid plans. We finally got up and moving and after breakfast managed to finally get on the road towards Mom's. Stopped at the first restaurant that my sister and I preferred. I hoped that I'd walk in and decide that it was the ideal location and that the price was right so I wouldn't have to traipse from restaurant to restaurant in search of the *ideal* location. Luckily the first place was perfect, they were super friendly and very accommodating, I was able to pretty much pick and choose the menu and get everything set up right then and there. Called my sister as I walked out and left a message letting her know that we did indeed have a location and a plan for Mom's birthday celebration. Stopped at Mom's and picked her up to go have lunch. She was THRILLED to see Bug and the feeling was mutual. We had a quick lunch and chatted with her for a bit before dropping her off and starting the hour+ trip back home. JD was heading to Bug's preschool to help out with their end of the year clean up day. On the way home I began making the calls to invite everyone to the luncheon. We had decided that since it's only a couple weeks away we'd make calls instead of sending out invitations and having to wait (or not in my family's case) for the RSVPs to come back. It's such an awkward thing to call my aunts and uncles. The conversations always go the same:
Aunt/Uncle: "Hello"
Me: "Hi Aunt/Uncle blah blah. This is Drama"
Aunt/Uncle Blah Blah: "Who?"
Me: "It's Me, Drama. Your sister, BlahBlah's daugher."
Aunt/Uncle BlahBlah: "I'm sorry, who is this?"
Me: "Drama, Your Sister BlahBlah Lastname is my MOM..."
Aunt/Uncle BlahBlah: "Ohh ok I couldn't figure out who you were. Now I remember."
Yep that's why I love my family....NOT. Once we got through the awkwardness of reminding them that they do indeed have a niece and I happen to be that niece then I was able to move forward and give them the details for my mom's luncheon. So far everyone is pretty receptive and I believe that all that we're planning to invite will attend. Should be fun. My uncle who lives out of state is actually trying very hard to secure a flight so that he can surprise my mom by coming. I really hope he can make it, we don't talk often but he's by far my favorite uncle of my mom's 3 remaining brothers (she originally had 6 brothers, 3 have passed away).
Well I'm wiped out after the hectic morning/afternoon and these comfy pillows and blankie on the couch are calling my name...so I think it's time for my nap. Z z Z z Z z...
More later maybe. All depends on if JD gives me *any* freedom or if he opts to attach himself to my hip for the remainder of the evening.
Aunt/Uncle: "Hello"
Me: "Hi Aunt/Uncle blah blah. This is Drama"
Aunt/Uncle Blah Blah: "Who?"
Me: "It's Me, Drama. Your sister, BlahBlah's daugher."
Aunt/Uncle BlahBlah: "I'm sorry, who is this?"
Me: "Drama, Your Sister BlahBlah Lastname is my MOM..."
Aunt/Uncle BlahBlah: "Ohh ok I couldn't figure out who you were. Now I remember."
Yep that's why I love my family....NOT. Once we got through the awkwardness of reminding them that they do indeed have a niece and I happen to be that niece then I was able to move forward and give them the details for my mom's luncheon. So far everyone is pretty receptive and I believe that all that we're planning to invite will attend. Should be fun. My uncle who lives out of state is actually trying very hard to secure a flight so that he can surprise my mom by coming. I really hope he can make it, we don't talk often but he's by far my favorite uncle of my mom's 3 remaining brothers (she originally had 6 brothers, 3 have passed away).
Well I'm wiped out after the hectic morning/afternoon and these comfy pillows and blankie on the couch are calling my name...so I think it's time for my nap. Z z Z z Z z...
More later maybe. All depends on if JD gives me *any* freedom or if he opts to attach himself to my hip for the remainder of the evening.

