Alcohol Abuse
Yep I am guilty of alcohol abuse...lol. Yesterday I had to purchase some wine as part of a gift for a family member. As I made my selections and came around the corner of the liquor department I noticed a bottle of wine in a display that appeared to be teetering on the edge, just about to fall out of the display. I was about 4 feet away but was going to grab it and right it as I went past. Before I could even get to it...the bottle toppled out of the display and crashed to the ground. Shattering glass and pouring cheap merlot all over the floor. As quickly as I saw that bottle fall to the ground, the remaining bottles in that case toppled over and crashed to the floor....SHATTERING and flooding the floor with yet more wine. I was frozen and felt like I was watching a really bad movie scene. As I stood there for what seemed like forever but was really mere seconds....FIVE more cases of wine toppled off the display and shattered onto the floor. The floor ended up looking like a giant Lake of Merlot. LOLOL My heart was pounding, my hands were shaking....the manager came running over to ask if I was ok. Save for the plethora of red wine all over my feet, shoes, legs, and the bottom of my jeans I was physically ok. He quickly handed me some towels to dry myself off and make sure my shoes were dry so that I didn't fall. By this time my cart was pretty much covered in wine, and one of the bottles had managed to remain intact and landed inside my cart. The only thing that kept going through my mind was, "I didn't cause this but were they going to ask me to pay for the wine that was destroyed?" I quickly glanced up to see that the wine was only $4 a bottle...not the most expensive stuff. I stuck around for a minute as about a dozen employees swarmed around with brooms, mops, and a wet vac cleaning up the mess. I heard a couple employees joke that they all needed straws to enjoy the cocktails...lol. The manager guided my cart towards the register and asked if I needed help getting to my car since he could tell I was visibly shaken up. I told him I was fine and that I just wanted to get out of there. I had to to go the other side of the store to pick up one last item and I could hear customers commenting as they walked in the door that they could smell the wine all the way at the entrance. LOL The cashier laughed that we'd all need a 12 step program now that we were all inebriated from the smell. I drove home smelling like a wino after a long night out drinking....a reminder of the aftermath that I walked away from at the store. I think I need to find a different location to buy my wine from now on....


3 comments:
LOL That's hilarious. I'm so sorry that happened, but it is funny.
glad they didn't make you pay for it!
Been reading you for some time. Hope everything is going well. Curious to know if Cali ever came out to see you.
Post a Comment