Packing
I don't have a lot of time but I did want to check in to let everyone know what's happening. Bug and I leave tomorrow morning to go see my dad. I took a half day off work today to get things together and finish packing. The airport we are leaving from is about an hour from me (Matt - you flew in there) so I'm driving to my mom's and spending the night there and my cousin will take us to the airport in the early am. I'm stressed, nervous, anxious, and scared.
Dad update - he came through the procedure with no complications and very little bleeding. Doctor said his heart is that of a 50 yr old (dad is almost 80) and if his lungs weren't so badly diseased he'd be able to live another 20 yrs. That felt a little like a kick in the teeth. In any case, he has made it through the procedure and is being transferred to a rehab facility so that they can help him learn how to handle the trach. He woke up this am and my brother was still there (he's extended his trip 3 times now to be there for my dad). My brother tried to explain what was happening but he's so out of it he doesn't quite understand what is happening. He's terrified that he's being *dumped* in a nursing home...that has always been his greatest fear in life. My brother said that he's been crying all day, every time he wakes up he's in tears. That breaks my heart...he's NOT going to a nursing home, this is a rehabilitation hospital to teach him how to handle the ventilator since it'll be a permanent part of his life. They specialize in that type of care...but he's so scared and confused that you can't talk to him about it. I just want to be there NOW to hug him and promise him that it's going to be ok. My dad and I are so much alike...a big reason why we butt heads all the time. Tough on the outside, people always assume we're the strong stoic one but inside we are extremely sensitive, scared, and insecure. Go figure, huh? So he's been moved and my brother is staying until tomorrow morning to make sure that he's settled and ok. I arrive around lunchtime and his wife arrives back late in the evening. Oh yeah, another wee little wrench in this, this past weekend dad's wife received a call that one of her sons (she has like 8 or 9 kids) died so she flew out this week to attend the wake and funeral. Talk about when it rains it pours. So dad woke up today and my brother had to let him know that his wife wasn't there and why. It's been such a difficult day for my dad. I have so much to do before we leave tonight and I wish my flight was today and not tomorrow. I just want to get there and see him.
Anyway, that's the update...I want to thank each of you for your good thoughts, wishes, and prayers. Please keep them coming, I think the rehab portion is going to be the toughest for my daddy.
I don't know if I'll have internet access when I get there...or much time to post anything. But I promise to update as soon as I get home and get a few minutes. Matt and TS - I have your numbers on my cell and may call you if I need to. Thank you everyone.
*Hugs*
Dramad


1 comment:
Stay strong. I'll pray for your dad.
Hugs
Post a Comment