Sunday, April 19, 2009

6 Years Ago Today

6 Years... 6 years ago today I gave birth to the most beautiful blue-eyed blond little boy in the entire universe. Well in *my* universe, anyway. Yes, today is Bug's 6th birthday. As I told him this week, he can't possibly be turning 6, I'm not nearly old enough to have a 6-year old. Of course, he burst that bubble by telling me that I was indeed old enough to have a 6-year old. Gee, thanks Buddy. Heh I remember his conception, my pregnancy, and his birth like it was yesterday. Surely it couldn't have been 6 years ago!!

He's been a constant source of amazement, joy, challenges, frustration, laughter, and pride. He's always been a laid back little boy. Even as a baby, he rarely cried, was quick to engage anyone that would glance his way, and spent much of his day smiling and giggling. I was/am a very lucky momma. From the very beginning, everywhere we went was met with comments and compliments on how well behaved and happy he was. Yes, he was and still is a happy, happy child.

As he's grown he's turned into a very articulate, quick witted, sometimes sarcastic (thanks to genes from his momma's side of the family..heehee), but always loving and thoughtful young man. I was totally blown away about a year ago when we were talking about how children treat each other and he said, "Momma, I would NEVER hit someone or say something mean to them, because I wouldn't want them to do that to me, it's hurtful." WOW...that was pretty awesome coming from an almost 5 year old, in my opinion. He has a good heart, he's polite, and he's forgiving...traits that I hope he carries through into the teenage years and into adulthood.

He loves his momma (of course!), his friends, Spongebob, his hamster, his birdie, strawberries, raspberries, pizza, pasta, sleeping in (just like his momma), and all things sports related. He is inquisitive, intelligent, attentive, thoughtful, funny, and well adorable. Hehe

I'm grateful to have him in my life and my life is definitely much richer for knowing him. I consider it a privilege to be called his momma and to be able to call him my son. He's taught me so much in the past 6 years and he's caused me to want to be a better person. Everything I do is with him in mind, he is the common denominator in my life. I just hope that I can live up to the vision of me that he carries in his mind and in his heart.

I treasure Saturday mornings because that is when he crawls into my bed and we get to cuddle and talk and just be. It's just the two of us, no rush to get to school or work, nobody waiting for us, we can talk and giggle and hang out for as long as we'd like. Just this past weekend as we were curled together in my bed, his arms around my neck, while he played with my hair (something he's done since he was a tiny baby) he told me, "Momma, this is my very favorite thing to do with you." ::happy sigh:: Yes, Bug, same here. I treasure these years while I have them. Because while right now I know I'm his #1 girl, as he gets older and realizes that momma isn't all that cool I'll be relegated to somewhere down the ladder of importance and friends, girls, or sports will take my place. That's ok though, cuz I'll always remember the words he utters on a regular basis, "Momma I love you and I'll never ever want to replace you!" That's good to know.

Thank you, Bug for letting me be your momma. Happy, Happy Birthday! I love you, Little Man.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Happy B'day to you, little dude bug! :-)
You be sure now to grow up strong and continue to make your mom proud!

Trueself said...

Your Bug is indeed a wonderful young man. I very much enjoyed playing Go Fish with him when I visited.

As I believe I shared with Bug, April is the absolutely bestest month to be born. I mean, obviously, since both he and I were born in it!

Give him a big birthday hug, albeit a few days late, from me.

Fusion said...

Aww, Happy belated Birthday Bug!
You discribed him perfectly Drama, he is such a good little boy, thats for sure! Hope he had a great day!!!