Saturday, March 20, 2010

Completely off kilter

What a rough week it's been. Actually it all started last Saturday. Took Bug to a birthday party, kept in touch with the man throughout the day. He was spending the afternoon doing some rather "girly" things with his daughter, which in and of itself doesn't sound terribly strange. A loving father spending Saturday afternoon with his young daughter, right? Well the "girly things" consisted of this big burly, tattooed and pierced biker type man taking his daughter to a TEA PARTY! Heehee. She loved it, he endured it but I know he secretly loved it cuz, well it meant he spent time with his princess AND it totally made her day. I thought it was incredibly sweet, the thought of him arriving at said tea party totally out of place but enjoying it nonetheless. But I digress. After the festivities, we dropped off our respective children and then headed to the hockey game with a group of friends. Game was good, our team won...but then things got icky. He got sick on the way home and it all went downhill from there. He ended up in bed all day Sunday, headed to the clinic on Monday to find out he had strep and a sinus infection. Not a good thing.

He planned to spend the beginning of the week resting and trying to recover from the nasty bugs that had inhabited his body uninvited and then return to work. Then the call came in on Tuesday late afternoon. His dad was in very serious condition and being rushed to the ER. He had to drag himself out of bed and head into the city to be at his dad's side in the hospital. That's when things went from bad to worse. He's been at the hospital ever since (today is Saturday for those keeping track). Dad had surgery yesterday and now they're giving him a 30% chance of survival. I feel totally and completely helpless. While our relationship is really pretty strong, it's also really very new. I've yet to meet anyone in his family so arriving at the hospital to be at his side isn't necessarily the most appropriate thing to do...nor does it really make sense. I'm trying to be the support he needs from a distance but I feel like I'm sorely lacking. He says he's ok but I also know that he's really wiped out emotionally and physically. He is trying to be strong for his mom and sister. Family has arrived from out of town now as well so he's juggling a lot. I'm trying to balance being supportive without crowding him...it's not easy. I know how stressful it is when you have a sick parent, having dealt with this just over 2 years ago when my dad AND mom both were sick.

**NOTE: I started this post last Saturday and here we are over 8 days later with no reasonable update with regard to the man's dad. He's been transferred to a different hospital and they're at the stage of the game where they will be trying a "new and somewhat experimental" protocol on him since nothing else is working. The man has been sleeping in his dad's room and occasionally going back to his parents house to shower and catch a couple hours sleep on their couch. Not terribly conducive to a good nights rest. I still feel totally and utterly helpless with regards to supporting him. He insists that I'm doing just fine supporting him, that he misses me and thinks about me all the time *grin*, and that he can't wait to see me. I wish I could just hold him and make all this craziness go away. We are now heading towards the two week mark that he's been staying at the hospital with no reasonable solution in sight for his dad. How frustrating!

So we begin another week, unsure where this will end up, hopeful that they will find something, some way to help his dad. It's not looking too good but we have to remain hopeful. His dad has the same disease that my dad did, so I know how difficult it is to watch someone suffer through this and I don't envy him. You're powerless and it's frustrating.

As I was typing this it hit me that since it appears he may very well become a more permanent fixture in my life, I should probably give him a more permanent nickname other than the man. Hehe I'll have to think upon that and get back to you all.

In the meantime, any good thoughts, vibes, dances, prayers, etc. that you can muster would be outstanding.

2 comments:

Fusion said...

Good vibes your way Drama.
Sorry I wasn't availiable last Saturday to talk, we were at the DMV, then I worked a closing shift.
Can't imagine how tired T must be through all this. I was fortunate that my parents went quick when they passed...
Hugs to you.

Drama said...

Thanks Fuse. It's been pretty difficult for all involved. I wish I could do more to help him. As of today (Good Friday) his dad is *still* in the hospital and T is STILL at the hospital with him. He had planned to come home earlier this week but then things changed (or stayed the same depending on how you look it I suppose) and he's still there. Not only is T dealing with sleep deprivation but he has a business that at this moment is basically running itself thanks to some reliable employees. However, he's the only one that can take care of payroll, etc. so he has to go back soon.